Fire at building under construction – Tottenham Hale

Ashley Road Tottenham Hale

Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a building under construction on Ashley Road in Tottenham Hale last night.

Ashley road, tottenham hale

A store cupboard on the ground floor was destroyed by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have involved an electric heater.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires involving heaters like this are all too common. They usually start when items are placed too close to the heater and ignite.

“Before attempting to move or put away you heater, make sure you turn it off and allow it to cool down properly first. It’s also really important to make sure heaters are well maintained and in good working order.”

The Brigade was called at 2330 and the fire was under control by 0115. Fire crews from Tottenham, Stoke Newington, Hornsey, Leyton, Edmonton and Walthamstow fire stations attended the scene.

  • Firefighters’ tips for using portable heaters safely
  • Check that your heater isn’t on a recall list.
  • Never install, repair or service appliances yourself. Make sure anyone who does is a registered professional.
  • Don’t take risks with old heaters – if it’s sparking, wires are loose or if it’s showing signs of damage, replace it with a new one or get it tested and repaired by a qualified electrician.
  • Keep heaters well away from clothes, curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.
  • Always sit at least one metre away from a heater as it could set light to your clothes or chair.